Im excited to share this recipe with you. It’s spicy, warming, comforting and delicious. The micro shoots add a bite and a freshness. Enjoy!
1 finely chopped onion 1 garlic clove with skin on 1 stick of celery chopped finely 1 tin of chopped tomatoes 2 teaspoons tomato concentrate 1 teaspoons chilli powder 1 fresh chopped chilli 1 teaspoon smoked paprika 1 teaspoon of chipotle chilli powder 1 teaspoon cumin powder 2 pitted medjool dates 1/2 cauliflower head 3 portabello mushrooms finely chopped Juice of 1/2 lemon 1 medium sweet potato A little grape seed or coconut oil Coriander leaves and mixed shoots - I used radish, mustard cress and amaranth
- Heat your oven to 180 degrees c and when it has come to temperature add a washed sweet potato whole. Cook for 1-1.5
- Add a small amount of grape seed or coconut oil to a heavy bottomed saucepan and gently heat. Smash the garlic clove with the side of a knife so it squashes and add it to the pan along with the onion and celery. Slowly cook these on a low heat stirring continuously until they are browning and look slightly sticky. Add chopped tomatoes and tomato concentrate. Stir and leave for 5 minutes.
- Add all the powders, fresh chilli and dates and stir and leave for a further 10 minutes.
- Blitz your cauliflower in a blender so it looks like rice and add to the tomato sauce. Stir in chopped mushrooms. Your pan should be full with a thick stew consistency.
- Check to see if you need to add any water at this stage. If not let the chilli simmer for about 1 hour. Keep checking consistancy. You can simmer it for less or more depending on how much time you have. Taste to see if it needs anything (more cooking, more chilli ect). When satisfied add lemon juice and salt if you are using it.
- When your potato is cooked split it in half and put spoonfuls of the chilli no carne inside. Top with coriander leaves and mixed shoots. I squeeze a little more lemon juice on top of them. Happy cooking!